Financial Aid Verification
Each year, the DOE selects approximately 30% of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted by students for a process called verification. Students are required to verify that all of the information that was provided on the FAFSA is accurate.
NCI has developed the following policies and procedures for students whose application has been selected for verification:
Only those students who are selected for verification by the DOE will be required to submit supporting documentation. In most cases, the required documentation consists of a completed verification worksheet, an IRS Tax Return Transcript from the previous year (and parents, if applicable), and / or copies of W-2 Forms for the previous year.
No Title IV funds will be disbursed prior to the completion of verification.
- A Stafford Student loan application may be certified by NCI prior to the completion of verification. However, the student has 45 days from the time the student loan check arrives at NCI to provide the necessary documentation. If verification is not completed by that time, the student loan check will be returned to the lender.
- Students eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant will have 90 days after his / her last day of attendance or the end of the academic year, whichever is earlier, to complete verification. However, in the interim, the student must have made arrangements with the school for payment of all tuition and fees due, or risk termination at the option of the school. After the passage of the aforementioned period, all financial aid that might have been due is forfeited.
- All students will be notified on a timely basis if they have been selected for verification and what supporting documentation is required to complete the verification process. NCI will use as its reference the most recent verification guide supplied by the DOE. At the same time, the student will be informed of the time parameters and the consequences of not completing the verification process. NCI will notify the student of the result of the verification and if any other documentation is needed. NCI will assist the student in correcting inaccurate information. The student will be notified of any award changes because of the verification process.
- If the student supplies inaccurate information on any application and refuses to make corrections after being counseled by NCI, the student must be referred to the DOE for resolution. Unless required by the DOE, no financial aid will be disbursed to the student.
- The financial aid file will be documented with the date that verification was completed. Title IV funds will not be released before this date.